Monday, December 29, 2008

New Year's Resolutions and my "brand of heroin"

So I gave up on caps halfway through the title. I'm only human.

I have a problem. I think I may just be addicted to Gmail. Now, I'm sure my fellow Gmailer friends are rolling their eyes and thinking, "no really?" But seriously guys. Sometimes I feel like what I do in everyday life doesn't matter at all. Getting into Gmail drama, or just spending time (hours and hours) online answering weird/clever/flirtaeous questions on Yahoo Answers, chatting with people, going on YouTube or Facebook. I mean, it feels shallow. But then, I can't let it go. This shallow pool of so called hobbies is my life. What else am I going to do? I'm trying to figure out what kind of person I am. It's not like I can go out and run for president or volunteer for Peace Corp or Red Cross or quit school and join the circus. The last result is the most plausible. How sad it that? At the moment, I am writing this so I don't go back to my "brand of heroin", which you may have figured out is Gmail. Pitiful. And don't I know it.

Another difficulty is that if I try and not become involved in the large portion of my world which happens on the WWW, I may seem like I'm trying to put myself above others. I mean, who cares what your friends think of you, right? Wrong. It's not like I feel like I'm wasting my time by talking to these people. It's more..the amount of time, and the content of a majority of the conversations, and the method of communication...and all that stuff. I'm bored with virtual crap. And I know some people must be too. Maybe.

Course, (okay, I know I'm starting to ramble) sometimes virtual is all you get (I'll stop before it gets depressing.)

Of course I have other stuff to do. Chores. Homework. Work work work. I'd rather blow my time in the cyberworld then face reality in the real one. And that is the problem.

My New Year's Resolutions

Not to eat in front of the Tv/Computer

Not to say I see as much (only people I chat with a lot on...you guessed it, Gmail know what I'm talking about. And now the blog with two readers becomes exclusive? Who does she think she is?)

Too actually answer (besides not much/nothing) when people ask what's up. That may get annoying.

And those are my public NYRs.
Blog later.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

Hmm. You have brought up an... important? point. <--- overused statement. And I see (there's that phrase again) what you mean. No, seriously I really do. In a way, I feel the same. Except, Gmail is sort of different for me.

My immediate reaction is "crap this means I won't ever get to talk to you again till like 6 months and will therefore become depressed and my life will suck and no one to talk to and everyone leaves." And then of course, the phone (you sigh here most likely) is slightly "out of the question" so that means.. crap. Pessimistic, much? Jumping to conclusions, much? I dunno why I am sort of arguing with myself here.

We all have more stuff to do. That should be done. Could be done. Would be done. Computers sort of... yeah, add this different layer of perspective that has both bad and good effects on our (now new) perspective of this thing called 'reality'. Now, you say you're addicted. There's good reason. I guess. And of course, Gmail is... well, as you have stated here, its sort of... just fun? (This is not saying it is 100% fun, but I think you got it.) So, I mean, and then what you said about how the form of communication and sort of everything about it is sort of wasting your time. Makes sense. I think us Gmail-users feel that way often. We've been using it a ton (no, really?) and the amount of time spent on it has probably increased a scary amount.

So, in a sense I'm just repeating what you said. Worthless, I know. I just think that... well, I want to use the computer less. You do too, it seems. Virtual gets stale. So, maybe like... I dunno. I wouldn't want to say something so preposterous or whatever.

Nice NYR. Good luck (non-sarcastic kind).

I actually could imagine you volunteering for Peace Corp in a way.